Your lost US passport can be replaced in the same way you acquire a new one. The only difference is that you will need to report the loss of your passport as part of the requirements. The same is true if your US passport was stolen.
Please note: We are pleased to announce that we are resuming accepting passport applications for expedited processing at speeds that are close to pre-pandemic turnaround times. At this time, we can offer three speeds: Regular Expedited, Rush Processing and Ultra Rush Processing. For example, currently, in as little as a few days (depending on current availability) you can have a new or renewed passport back in your hands. Since we are registered to hand carry your application into the US Department of State, these turn-around times are significantly less than mail-in or on-line methods that are publicly available. If you need to expedite your passport, or simply planning ahead for an upcoming trip, please contact an Ambassador Passport and Visa consultant at 310-828-7878 for the latest availabilities and turnaround times.
Instructions for replacing a lost or stolen passport:
1 - Completing Application Form DS-11 and DS-64
• Fully completed Application Form DS-11 Complete but do not sign.
• Please note that only the Online DS-11 Application Form will be acceptable.
Please read the following important notes before completing the online application:
- Agree with the privacy agreement on the first page, and on the next page left hand column, select the “Apply Online” option on bottom left hand side of page, click on “Submit” and proceed with the application.
- On the page titled “Passport Products and Fees”, under “Processing Methods” choose the “Expedited at Agency” option, and under “Delivery Methods” select the “Standard” option (Since Ambassador Passport and Visa will hand carry your documents to and from the US Department of State, the mailing option does not apply to hand carry applicants).
- On the last page, titled “Next Steps” on bottom left, check the box next to “I have read and acknowledge the steps…” and below it click on the “Create Form” button at the bottom left, then open and print your application. Do not sign until appearing in front of passport acceptance agent.
- If at any time you have any questions or concerns, please call us at 310-828-7878.
If you are using our expediting service, please note:
You must send all documents and requirements to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services so that we can hand carry your application into the Passport Agency immediately. Your passport application will expire and not be considered valid within five days from the date of execution / sealing.
FAILURE TO SEND YOUR DOCUMENTS AND REQUIREMENTS TO THE AMBASSADOR PASSPORT AND VISA SERVICES ADDRESS DIRECTLY MAY RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT DELAYS BEYOND OUR CONTROL.
Please click here to go through the online process of creating your DS-11
Application Form on the Department of State Website (Complete but Do Not Sign)
Application form DSP-64 must also be completed and signed.
Please click here for DSP-64 Application Form – Lost Application Form
For minors under age 16, both parents as well as the minor child should be present at the time of execution of the documents. If only one parent appears the other parent must sign and notarize a consent form:
2 - Two Recent Passport Photographs
Please note: acceptable passport photos are:
• Photographs must be 2 x 2 inches in size, taken within the past 6 months.
• The image size from the bottom of the chin to the top of the head should be between 1 inch and 1 3/8 inches.
• No glasses
• The photographs must be in color
• They must be full face, front view with a plain white or off-white background. • Photographs should be taken without a hat or headgear that obscures the hair or hairline.
• Dark glasses or nonprescription glasses with tinted lenses are not acceptable unless required for medical reasons.
• Home made Digital photographs are not acceptable
3 - Completed And Signed Authorization Letter
Click here for the Letter of Authorization – Online Fillable PDF Version.
Please note: If you are using a mobile device, and/or have trouble filling out the form online, please click here for a printable-only version that can be filled out by hand in blue ink.
• The printed, completed, and signed Authorization Letter (in blue ink only) should be placed inside a sealed envelope by the Passport Clerk when executing the passport application
4 - Proof of U.S. CItizenship
Can be one of the following:
• Certified Birth Certificate – Issued by the County or State Health Department or Bureau of Vital Statistics. Hospital birth certificates are not accepted. For assistance in getting a Birth Certificate, please click here.
• Consulate record of birth abroad
• Naturalization Certificates also known as Certificate of Citizenship
• Previous expired U.S. passport – issued over 15 years ago or issued when you were under the age of 16
• Please note: when renewing passports for minors under age 15, both previous passport and original birth certificate should be submitted.
In addition to Proof of U.S. Citizenship, Proof of Identity is also required. A valid Driver’s License or State ID issued more than 6 months ago must be available. Make 2 copies of Drivers License or valid State ID.
If a valid ID is not available, Please see the list of supplemental ID requirements and then contact Ambassador Passport and Visa services.
5 - Proof of the Departure Date from the USA is Required
Please note: Due to the pandemic, at this time it is not required to provide any type of proof of departure or travel until further notice. However, if you have an itinerary, reservation, business letter, or other proof of travel, please provide it.
Copy of itinerary or air tickets, or letter on employer’s stationery confirming immediate international travel is required.
6 - Completed Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Cover Letter
7 - Be Sure To Make Copies before your documents are sealed
Before the documents are sealed (described in next step) please make copies of:
• All application forms: DS-11 and DSP-64
• Authorization Letter
• Proof of Travel (Travel Itinerary or Business letter)
• Copy of Drivers License or valid State ID mbassador
Since we cannot open the sealed envelope you send us, these extra copies should be included inside the Federal Express or UPS envelope shipped to Ambassador Passport and Visa Services. Failure to provide us with copies may result in significant delays or rejection of your passport application.
8 - Execution of the passport application
• Take the above requirements to your local acceptance agent for Passport Applications (usually a post office, county clerk or court house). Inform the acceptance agent that you are processing your passport application through a private agency or through a “hand carry” agent. The clerk will place the above documents in a sealed envelope and return it to you (You must not open or tamper with this envelope). The sealed envelope should be sent or delivered to our office immediately, as it will expire within 5 business days from day of execution of the documents.
Please note: occasionally an acceptance agent will be reluctant to return your sealed envelope. If you encounter this problem, please refer him to the “Hand Carry” section of the Acceptance Officer Procedure Manual or contact Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.
To locate the closest Passport Acceptance Agent, Click Here
Please note, if you are within driving distance or would like to appear in person at our offices, the execution of the documents can also be performed at our designated local Post Office.
• You will need to pay the U.S. government fee to the clerk. This fee should be paid by two checks:
|Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):||$35.00|
|Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):||$190.00|
|Total Government Fees:||$225.00|
For Minors (Children Under 16 Years)
|Execution Fee (the clerk will retain the execution fee):||$35.00|
|Government Fee (payable to U.S. Department of State):||$160.00|
|Total Government Fees:||$195.00|
Please write your full name and your date of birth on both checks
Check List: The following documents should be placed inside the sealed envelope executed by the Passport Clerk:
• Your Proof of U.S. Citizenship
• The Application Form DS-11
• The Photographs
• The Appropriate Government fees
• The Letter of Authorization
• The Proof of Departure (Itinerary)
9 - FEES
Fees – There Are a Total of 3 Fees: Government Fees, Our Fees, & Shipping Fees
Please note, unless otherwise confirmed by an Ambassador Passport and Visa Agent, processing for a U.S. Passport begins the FIRST BUSINESS DAY AFTER all the documents and requirements are received by Ambassador Passport and Visa Services.
(1) Government Fee: These Government Fees are paid at the time of execution, as per the instructions above.
|Adults – Over age of 16||$225.00|
|Minors – Under age of 16||$195.00|
(2) Ambassador Passport and Visa Services Fees:
|Regular Expedited (3 to 4 weeks)||Call for current pricing|
|Express Processing (10 to 15 Business Days)||Call for current pricing|
|Rush Processing (7 to 10 Days)||Call for current pricing|
|Ultra Rush Processingg||Call for current pricing|
Please note: Processing times begin the next business day after we receive your documents.
(3) Federal Express Fees (Continental USA Only)
|FedEx 2nd Business Day||$45.00|
|FedEx Letter (Priority Overnight)||$48.00|
|FedEx Letter (First Overnight)||$130.00|
|FedEx Letter (Saturday Delivery)||$78.00|
|Alaska, Puerto Rico, Hawaii, USVI –
FedEx Priority Overnight Letter (No Saturday Delivery)
10 - MAILING INSTRUCTIONS
Please Forward All The Above Documents and Requirements To:
Ambassador Passport and Visa Services, Inc.
2811 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 720
Santa Monica, California, 90403
For 24 Hour Passport Services ONLY: Be sure to call us so we can determine which address you should ship to, our Los Angeles, Washington D.C., Colorado, or our Seattle Office. Also, 24 hour processing begins once we have received all of your documents as specified on this page, to the correct office location.
or email us