Emergency US Passport
All U.S. citizens must have a valid passport if they need to travel outside the United States. While many people do not need their passport right away, those who are traveling soon may need to expedite it. An emergency passport is issued to applicants who have immediate travel and cannot wait for the regular passport process. It is useful if you are traveling within two weeks due to urgent travel. If this sounds like you, you can apply for an emergency passport. To do so, you can request for an emergency passport service through a passport agency, or through an expeditor such as Ambassador Passport & Visa.
Get a Passport in a Hurry
If you need to get a passport in a hurry because you have a life-or-death emergency or have proof of plane or hotel reservations within two weeks, you qualify for an emergency passport service. If this is a new passport, you will need to have the following:
- Completed DS-11: Application for a U.S. Passport
- Be sure to complete all questions and provide your social security number
- Two color photos, where you are not wearing a hat or glasses
- Proof of U.S citizenship, such as a certified birth certificate or expired passport
- Proof of identity, such as a driver’s license or state ID
- Proof of travel that shows the date you plan to leave
If your name has changed and does not match your citizenship or identity documents, you will also need to provide proof of your legal name change. If you are using an expeditor, you will also need to provide an authorization form or letter.
Emergency Passport Renewal
Emergency passport renewal are for those who need to travel quickly, but discover that their passport has expired, or will expire before they travel. You can apply for emergency passport renewal, which will expedite your passport so you can receive it as quickly as possible. The requirements for a U.S. passport renewal is the same as routine service.
- You need to complete the DS-82: U.S. Passport Renewal Application for Eligible Individuals.
- You need to include your social security number and complete all pages of the form.
- You must submit your current passport with the application.
- It should have been issued within the last 15 years, issued when you were at least 16 years old, and not have any damage.
- This passport will be returned to you.
- You must also include two photos and the application fee.
- The photos must be in color and you cannot be wearing eyeglasses or a hat.
- If you are changing your name on the passport, you must also submit the appropriate documents.
Emergency Passport – How Fast Can I Get a U.S. Passport?
The speed with which you can get a U.S. passport largely depends on when you need to travel.
- You can get a U.S. passport in one day if you need life-or-death emergency passport service.
- Those who have urgent travel plans that require them to travel outside the United States in less than three weeks can apply for expedited passport service.
- You should apply for the passport within two weeks of your travel date.
- If your travel date is in less than eight weeks for any reason, you can apply for expedited service.
- Those whose travel outside the U.S. is more than eight weeks away can use routine service, which typically takes six to eight weeks to receive the passport.
Can I get a passport in 24 hours?
Yes, you can get a passport in 24 hours using our emergency passport service. This is generally reserved for those who have a life-or-death emergency.
Can I get a passport on the same day?
Yes, you can get your new passport on the same day. To do so, you need to complete the application form and submit it with two photos and all supporting documents, such as proof of U.S. citizenship and proof of identity.
A life-or-death emergency is defined as death, injury, or serious illness in your immediate family, which requires you to travel outside the U.S. within three business days.
In addition to the required passport and visa application, you need to provide us with proof of the emergency when applying for our emergency passport service. Documents that can be submitted as proof include a death certificate in English, signed letter from a medical professional, or statement from a funeral home.
Emergency Renewals through an Expedited Passport Courier Service
Ambassador Passport & Visa is registered as an expediter, which means applicants can authorize us to submit a U.S. Passport renewal form on their behalf. First complete the application online, then send us your completed DS-82 form, photos, current passport, and fee payment. Make sure to select same day service since you are applying for emergency passport service. You can hand deliver your application packet to us by visiting one of our offices, or by sending it to us using overnight delivery.
Emergency Passport Cost
The cost to expedite an emergency passport is $60 in addition to the $135 fee for a new passport. If you want to renew your passport the cost is $110. There is an additional cost to have the passport mailed and for the emergency passport service provided by Ambassador Passport & Visa.
Get Your U.S. Passport Renewal Fast With Ambassador Passport & Visa
If you are a U.S. citizen located in any of the 50 states and need to travel due to an emergency, the team at Ambassador Passport & Visa can expedite your visa and passport applications in 24 hours or less. Our experts expedite passports for travelers who have confirmed international travel plans within 14 days, and visas for those with confirmed travel plans within 30 days. We have more than 26 years of experience in the provision of emergency passport services, and we strive to get you your travel documents easily, securely, quickly, and hassle-free.